As promised, my process for painting this pet portrait.
 |
First I'll make either a color or tonal study. In this case I did both. Here is the light wash of the Color Study. |
 |
| The final wash of the Color Study |
 |
As I knew this piece would be colorful, I wanted to work out light/dark as explicitly as possible, so I also made a quick tonal study. White (paper), light, middle, dark. |
 |
Even before finishing the pencil work for the final piece, I knew it was going well. I let the piece stand for several days without adding any washes of color or tone. The quality of the pencil lines was so nice - I didn't want that texture lost. I decided to go in a new direction for this work, and preserve the "drawing" quality while still working in a wet medium. Watercolor Pencils it would be. |
 |
| Toby pencils, detail |
 |
| Sara pencils, detail |
 |
| First pass with the colored pencil, yellow |
 |
| Yellow, Orange passes with the colored watercolor pencils |
 |
| A bit more color, reds |
 |
| Last Colored Pencil work pre-water washes |
 |
| First water wash - water only! |
 |
| Brown Wash |
 |
| Blue wash |
 |
| Final Portrait |
 |
| Sara, Detail |
 |
| Sara, Detail |
 |
| Toby, Detail |
 |
| Toby, Detail |
No comments:
Post a Comment