Just a quick training update since the weekend…
This Saturday and Sunday our team, Juniors, Elites, are racing in the Elk Lake Regatta in Canada. With Alex I’m racing the Open 2x, and with Alex, Chris (a junior) and Aidan I’m racing the Open 4x. For me the biggest performance will be the 1x, a good warmup in preparation for the National Selection Regatta #1 March 15-17th in Chula Vista, CA. I’ll be a lightweight there against the fastest men’s heavy singles from around the country competing to represent the US in the Men’s single for the Olympic Games. Rumor has it I’m not the only light men’s single to have this idea – so the competition should be lively among the other lightweights racing. Just booked the hotel tonight.
This morning’s first session was a windy 17k row in the single. I kept my effort and heart rate consistent in the headwind/tailwind conditions in the Ballard ship canal, tapping the boat along at 20-21 strokes per minute. We spun at 10’, 30’, 45’, and 65’, starting Tail, Head, Tail, Head, Tail. The speed differences are visible from the graph, between about 2:18-2:12 splits in the headwind, and 2:06-2:02 in the tailwind. Given the low heart rate, this was good speed for me for easy/medium steady state. My focus was to drive the boat starting from the hips, while also breaking the arms early (for me) to continue to accelerate the boat through the middle of the drive, symmetrically, through the finish.
![]() |
| Data from the entire row, stroke rate in blue, pace in orange. |
| Heart Rate data from the entire row - ignore the spike early on, that's a glitch. Pretty consistent HR around 150 bpm, the drops being the turnarounds. |
![]() |
| Data from 29' to 46', a good consistent chunk of rowing in a tailwind. |


No comments:
Post a Comment