Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Good Fall


Looking ahead on the Philly bike path to Conshohocken -
I've seen a lot of this path lately!
It has been a good Fall.  With only one race left to row, the Silverskiff Regatta in Turin, Italy, I'd like to thank everyone who has made this fall a good step forward in my rowing career, and a whole lot of fun.  Doing something because you're having fun with it is a great reason to do it.
In rowing, you're always looking back...
Will and I gaze over the Boston Harbor

Thanks mom and dad for being there for me
Thank you first to my mom and dad.  Both my parents came out to Boston to watch me race in the Head of the Charles Regatta October 20-21st, and we enjoyed some great Thai food at 9 Tastes post-racing in Harvard Square.  Check this place out if you're looking for a meal in the Square, especially if you're hungry, and don't want to be crowded out of some coffeeshop - it's almost always got tables right away, the service is swift, and the "9 Tastes Pad Thai" is delicious.

The Fall began with a major change, a move to Philadelphia.  Rowing out of Malta Boat Club on Boathouse Row, and out of Conshohocken with our Coach Craig Hoffman, the weeks have been filled with laughs, good rows, lifts (lift every day), and the weekends have either been racing or out of town visiting friends I haven't seen in forever... or since the previous weekend.

Leaving my still-packed suitcases at my new Philly home after an all-day flight from Seattle on the 21st of September, I got a ride to Boston that very night from teammate and bow seat of our USA LM4x this summer Shane Madden.  We left at 9pm... getting in at 3am.  Toughen Up, Cupcake!  As usual, I stayed with my two bandmates (#TheBlades) Andrew Neils (André Nrysdale) and Will Allen (Willei Synek-Allen) and the always collected Jeff Forrester (coach of MIT Men's Lightweight Crew having a stellar fall season).  Sunday Shane and I raced in the Head Of The Kevin #2, the second of three warm-up races Riverside Boat Club holds leading up to the Head of the Charles Regatta.  Will let me borrow his boat (thanks Willei!) for the first head piece of the season, and you could not have asked for better conditions, slight headwind and a sunny day!

Just a really good picture of Emerson
That afternoon was spent catching up with some of my best friends from Dartmouth, including Emerson Curry, who rowed behind me at 6 seat when I rowed 7 seat in the Lightweight Eight.  I highly recommend Legal Seafoods Harborside, their roof deck was a delight.

From the Head Of The Kevin II Afterparty.. it was a short week of intense training before leaving to go further North the following weekend, to Hanover, New Hampshire, for Dartmouth College's Gardner Cup, their series of alumni races.  We had a jolly good time Friday the night before the races, a late morning capped with some delicious recovery beverages at lunch, then straight into the boat with my old classmates and teammates.  I was six seat, Anthony Fahden, bow seat Light Men's Olympic Four this summer in London at seven, and Gabe Mahoney stroking the boat, taking us off above 40 strokes per minute for the whole first 500m... of a 7k race.  We got up on the only other boat really hanging with us... got a little excited with the spirited yelling at the other crew in the race... they got up by a length and we held those margins for the next 5500m.  In a word: "grueling."  Anthony gave a speech as one of Dartmouth's Olympians that night at a whole-boathouse and alum dinner.

The following weekend was spent in Philly, training, relaxing.

In case you missed him... Sam was
the poster child!...literally!  And
the program cover.
Navy Day Regatta's highlight was catching up a bit with my college coach and current Navy Lightweight Men's coach Steve Perry.  Didn't do too hot in the race itself, but a result is a result!  Looked forward to having my boat again for the Charles, as it was traveling cross-country on the Lake Union Crew trailer from Seattle.

The Charles was great.  My friends and TheBlades Andrew Neils (author of The Seat Pad and Guaclympic Champion) and Will Allen (Gentle Giant and current Eric Murray look-alike contest winner) and their roommate Jeff Forrester (MIT Lightweight Men's Coach and HOCR Champion Light Men's Eight 2005) hosted me for early in the week as I got back in my boat on the Charles.  Big thanks to them for once again making it possible for me to row in Boston.  During the weekend I stayed with teammate Sam Cunningham and his wife Nicole in a hotel room arranged for us by our coach Craig Hoffman, as we dined with and generally helped out with the Malvern Prep athletes rowing singles and doubles at the Charles.

In a strong headwind and against a good turnout of scullers, I put together a good piece and won the Head of the Charles in the Lightweight Men's Singles representing Malta Boat Club.

Coming by Riverside at the Head of the Charles
Photo Credit Eliza H.V.L.
The following weekend, I won the Head of the Schuylkill Regatta with another good piece, then headed off immediately to visit a best friend in New York for some long-overdue antics.  Thank you Max for hosting me, and also for always believing in my rowing habit during our time at the GSD!  Coincidentally, my mom was visiting a few of her best friends in the City, so we had an hour or two during the day to get lunch and catch up again... as I had just seen both my folks in Boston.

This past week and weekend it was nice to be able to put in some solid work in Philadelphia in the single, and double with Sam, and especially on the erg due to the stormy weather.

Racing at the Schuylkill
Photo Credit Sportgraphics
In the airport now about to leave for Frankfurt, then to Torino, Italia, to race 11k (it's long) for the Silverskiff Regatta.  Craig is once again making all this possible, inviting me along with Shane Madden (Malvern coach and teammate) to travel with the Malvern team to Italy.  Following the race this Sunday I'm going to stay in Europe for a week, visiting my friend Jordan in Berlin - who is always inviting me "come visit me in Berlin!" as if I'm always about to just pass through... but the wishful thinking has paid off and that is exactly what is happening.  I cannot wait.


These truffle oil fries we beyond delicious.
All part of a balanced breakfast.

Back in Philly I'll followup with some exciting opportunities with my career and business.  Again, thank you everyone for helping me to have a great fall so far.  I'm looking forward to this season and excited to train this winter.

Philly skyline from the Malta Deck

No comments:

Post a Comment