Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Out of Retirement

...you can't row and hope.
Well, my first row since retiring from the sport is now in the books.  Back in action!  The wheels are a bit rusty, my form bad, my fitness worse and my motivation to improve at an all time low... but then again most of that was a pre-existing condition.

Why did I come out of retirement from rowing, after taking so much time off?  How could I know I'd ever get back to where I once was, how could I rebuild the fitness that took a decade+ to gain?  Not that I didn't enjoy my long break from sport.  Here I was... all this extra time on my hands, having been so so long in the game... and now free of all that, unsure what to do next.  As I slowly rediscovered a world after crew, reconnected with old friends, took up a few hobbies, nothing really filled the void crew left behind.  So as the days* passed and the distance between me and the sport I loved increased... I felt a hunger for unfinished business** and a deep desire to see what was possible for one last go around...

...so here we are.  Rowing again.  Looking forward to every stroke.

*~10 hours or so.
**After our morning row I had said I'd give Sam a ride to work, for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment