| Greek Light Men's Quad: World Champions 2013. |
"It occurs to me that people choose to be fit and healthy, or furthermore play an active role in the fitness and healthy-living community for different reasons. I know what motivates me, but I'm curious know - in as much or as little detail as you're willing to give - what motivates each of you. I have no doubt that this answer will likely be different from each of you, but I'm curious to learn more.
What factors motivate you to prioritize fitness and healthy living more often? What factors cause you to prioritize it less often? Why?
These questions are totally open-ended. Answer in any way you wish. If you have additional thoughts, feel free to add them.
Ultimately, I want to have a better understanding of why some people choose a healthier approach to life and why others don't. I realize there are a myriad of reasons for both, so I'm just looking for a small, specific sample at this point."
Here's my reply:
"Such things intrigue me too..
honestly? There is a HUGE sense of motivation from the feeling that someone else thinks I cannot do something..
was always an artsy fat kid growing up. Hated the recognition all the athletically-inclined youngsters would receive based on what I saw as a latent luck-of-the-draw talent-based circumstance. Came home one day from middle school proud of the way our gym teacher had showed us how to lace our shoes to give ankle support. Showed my dad, he fired back “oh David, that’s something stupid jocks do.” “But…” his next pronouncement changed my life:
“David, you will NEVER be a jock."
This made me mad.
Of course.. in high school… my views changed. I saw through rowing that I could WORK to CHANGE my abilities, my body, even my very bones. And of course.. balls! And I could use rowing to get mad. Really, really mad. It hurt? Go for more. They’re ahead? Let’s go get them. Chase them down and make them pay for trying to beat us!
All that good high-school-crew-level aggression and hormone-inspired lunacy.
Nowadays… I find exercise very very fun. I mean, the rowing and the biking running lifting anything really has always been fun! That motivation keeps me in it when the competitive aspect is very estranged and far away, like the dead of winter on all the steady state ergs.
Then I remember the Greeks. Annihilating the field in the LM4x 2013. I remember because I watched it live. From the stands. From the fucking bench. Because our B-level final had already been rowed that morning. All of a sudden there don’t seem to be enough hours in the day, enough minutes available before 2014 summer racing is upon us, and we are tested again, at Trials and beyond.
That makes me mad.
Also, obviously… I put literally everything on my blog. A big factor coming back from 2011 being out of it was the realization that using our bodies while we can is a gift, and every time we can jump and wiggle around is pure pleasure when it’s been taken from you. But I didn’t discuss that aspect here because that novelty is not enough to sustain a 4-year or decade+ campaign to win. In my humble experience though.. I find anger and drive to be very sustainable.. dissatisfaction leading to unrest and the will to prepare to never let somebody beat you so bad again.. to show them!"
No comments:
Post a Comment