![]() |
| Sketch by Gabriel Campanario, originally featured here. |
Frank was a masterful sculler and teacher of sculling I never met in person, despite his long tenure at Lakeside school and Lake Washington Rowing Club. His book, The Sculler at Ease, was my textbook and introduction to the joy of moving a boat over water.
I cannot express how deeply this one book and its author's teachings have influenced my rowing, my attitude, and ultimately my course in life. As a rower, and especially as a rower growing up in the Pacific Northwest, I'm not alone here feeling very much under his influence. His name was invoked constantly by my high school coaches in Seattle, the very water of Lake Union and Lake Washington seemed saturated with his presence.
I never reached out to Frank, never wrote to him, never introduced myself, never was coached by him. It is a great regret.
Reach out to the people who are important in your life, whether they know you or not.
His book should be required reading for all rowers.

No comments:
Post a Comment