Saturday, August 13, 2011

First Row Complete


As I pulled into the Riverside dock after just shy of 11k of steady state rowing, I asked Andrew Campbell if it was a good idea to come back from an injury and try to keep up with the fastest lightweight sculler in the country on my first row in ten weeks.  He thought for a moment before an enthusiastic "hell yeah it is!" I could not agree more.  Andrew just finished his frosh year with the Harvard Lights, and is currently the US Team Lightweight Men's Single following his victory at Trials.  Before that he earned a bronze medal in the light single at the 2011 Under-23 World Championships, and a bronze last year in the heavy single at the 2010 Junior World Championships.  Also on the water was Elliot Hovey, Olympian and many-time national team member, as I crashed their (I'm guessing less hard for them than for me) easy row, battle-paddling to my heart's content.  No back pain whatsoever and great hip flexibiltiy.  A little wobbly on the recovery (but who cares), but the drive was fine.  All the core stability and strength work truly paid off, I actually felt more solid connection on the drive in the single than, well... ever.  Next row is Monday.  Patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment