Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Frustration

Although no one wants to hear about progress moving backwards, least of all me, that's part of the story right now.  My back hurts a considerable amount.  After some very, very good initial strokes on the water, it seems my disc injury is not healed to the extent I would have expected after so much time off.  And not just time off - after so many countless hours of work in the pool, on the bike, and doing physical therapy and stretching and massage and core work and balance and skill development and mental training this is where I am right now: I can't row, my back hurts an absurd amount just walking around, laying down, anything.  It is important to remind myself that I was headed in a positive direction, and more patience will be required before I can kick this for good.  The changes I've made in my physical lifestyle have helped make sure that once this problem is negotiated it should not come up again.  I've learned a lot this Summer, and it's important to not lose sight of all that has been done, and the physical limitations I have overcome to get to where I am today.  At the same time, it is frustrating beyond measure to have done so much to yield, as of today, objectively a similar situation to the beginning of Summer - my back hurts and it's not clear what can be done.

It's not everything that is doing this to me - it's likely just one thing, one big change I can make, one crucial shift physically that will bring about big results.  I know my body well enough by now to assess the truth in that pattern, but the one big thing does remain a mystery to me now.  Likely I was already doing it, then something changed or compromised either within or beyond my control.

I'm in a fight with this - I will win.

No comments:

Post a Comment