| The Chicken Tacos at Taqueriza El Carrizal in Allston. Just Chicken (cooked fresh), lime, cilantro, onion, corn tortilla. Perfection and only $2 each. |
7:13 pm and the temperature is still 93 F. Today was chock-full; I’m going to forget something.
First off, woke up with no back pain. Not even a little bit, none at all. Watched some Tour, then over to PT. Late because of a flat tire (it’s becoming increasingly clear to me why cyclists are always crabby). It occurred to me on the way that when I sell my Filippi 1x I will be able to buy three cars. With my Gymstick slung on my back, I received a slew of new exercises to strengthen and stabilize my core, hips, back. Yet another routine to add to the many. Tacos (rocket fuel) then off to CRI to lift.
Gymstick, very fun stuff. It had been sitting in my apartment for several days, jealous of all the attention I’ve been giving my bike lately. “Four hours on the bike Monday alone, yet you couldn’t even give me a try?” The Gymstick would have the last word, alerting me to its envy by slipping off my shoulder into the front wheel of my Lemond. Yay. Over I went! Luckily the speed was slow, under 5mph, and a pedestrian grabbed my bike and moved it out of the road as I shook myself off. The damage to the Gymstick was nonexistent, I have some scratches w/no blood, but the bike, ah, the front wheel was torqued and cost me a $20 true at ATA Cycles. The bar tape is finally giving too, I bought some black Stella tape to replace it. So swimming was now out, because I assume it’s bad for your body to immerse sores in a germy pool. For some reason I immediately began craving Romaine lettuce with Newman’s Own Caesar dressing, fresh pepper and crushed walnuts. Like a pregnant woman I cannot anticipate my appetites, but once they strike they’re as clear as the pavement was hard.
Gymstick, very fun stuff. It had been sitting in my apartment for several days, jealous of all the attention I’ve been giving my bike lately. “Four hours on the bike Monday alone, yet you couldn’t even give me a try?” The Gymstick would have the last word, alerting me to its envy by slipping off my shoulder into the front wheel of my Lemond. Yay. Over I went! Luckily the speed was slow, under 5mph, and a pedestrian grabbed my bike and moved it out of the road as I shook myself off. The damage to the Gymstick was nonexistent, I have some scratches w/no blood, but the bike, ah, the front wheel was torqued and cost me a $20 true at ATA Cycles. The bar tape is finally giving too, I bought some black Stella tape to replace it. So swimming was now out, because I assume it’s bad for your body to immerse sores in a germy pool. For some reason I immediately began craving Romaine lettuce with Newman’s Own Caesar dressing, fresh pepper and crushed walnuts. Like a pregnant woman I cannot anticipate my appetites, but once they strike they’re as clear as the pavement was hard.
Some explanations. When I say 4 hrs on the bike, I don’t mean total workout time, I mean 240’, in zone, pedaling, on the bike. So that may be interrupted to stop for water, route changes, even a meal if it’s getting longer than 3.5 hrs. A 240’ workout could take 5 hrs. I got the idea to take small breaks from my coach Bruce Smith and also from a video of Lance training. He will stop every hour or so to grab food from the car, look at a map of the area, drink water, use the bathroom, etc. I had always assumed before this that pro cyclists just rode and rode and rode until the day’s miles were logged. Not the case. Rowing is also a bit different than just “go till it’s done.” Usually the workout total time is always greater than time spent moving the boat. Breaks are a necessity, and I’ve found that breaks during a long row considerably improve technique and focus on the re-start. It would also be impractical to try to do a day’s total volume in one session in the boat. 60k rows are not repeatable for long.
![]() |
| Weight Routine and Gymstick Routine (below) |

No comments:
Post a Comment