For sure I’m ordering Chinese tonight.
Went for (supposed to be) 140’ Bike, was more like 3+hours or 180-190’ total. Did 2 laps of the Minuteman Bike Trail, out back out back (no rules, just right), then up to CRI Harry Parker Boathouse for some visualization on the erg (sorry can’t give away my SECRETS) and a PT/core routine that takes about 20’. On way home from CRI, I noticed a severe hunger coming over me (if I had a nickel) and although I had fueled properly for the ride itself, and during it, my lack of rocket fuel last night (veggies and pasta only) was showing itself. With an 80’ swim still to come, it was time for a Felipe’s pit stop. Cheers (Australian for cheers) to that. Sadly, the Blodgett Pool closed today at 3pm, so when I got there I had to turn right around and head home. No real sense in trying to “make up” that volume with extra biking, I can adjust the weekend training accordingly, maybe even eliminating Sunday training and doing a longer ride tomorrow. It would be nice to have a day off the bike (It’s Not About The Bike as Lance wrote). Volunteering for the Cromwell Cup Regatta at Riverside Boat Club should be a blast anyways. I'm a ref, don't cross me.
![]() |
| How it should always be. |
Very glad to hear my Seattle Rowing Center teammate and friend Alex Twist is liking the US Lightweight Men’s Eight Selection camp held at the good ole’ Alma Mater in Hanover, New Hampshire. I’m sure current Dartmouth Lightweight coach Dan Roock (silver medal this year for the D150s at Sprints, bronze at the IRA!) will turn out a strong boat, with 20 athletes in the pool, and a very reasonable approach to invitation: $50, anyone welcome. Done. How it should always be. You're welcome. I’m looking forward to watching the final 8 guys and coxswain race in Bled, Slovenia, 8/28-9/4. Check out Alex’s blog “Rowing 9 to 5” at http://alex-twist.blogspot.com.
Put some new tires on my bike, Continental Grand Prix 4000S with Chili Rubber compound. I don’t know what the hell that means, literally, not at all. And I don’t care. They feel great and look very German-minimalist. All black, no flash. It was a necessity; my Michelin Pro Race tires (oh they looked SO much cooler) were starting to resemble a squishy cheese grater. I’m super-careful these days about what I buy for my bike, purchasing only what I must to keep rolling forward. Resisting the temptation to geek out takes TREMENDOUS self-control. Had to replace the cleats on my old-school Look pedals, they don’t even exist anymore and are now only made by some aftermarket company in Japan. I’m shocked I even stayed clipped in. Look at the wear on these!
| Before |
| After |
Alright, it’s time for some rocket fuel. A quick online order from Wok’N’Roll should do the trick.
Thank god for flaky dates, I need to sleep for once! I flaked myself just last Friday, only excuse given was "I'm tired." Classic.


No comments:
Post a Comment