Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Cyclex Serafinianus

Carried w/me, also stopped for fish tacos; ice cream; and
(at the end) fried clams

Trees in water.  I have no idea what's going on here
...very Codex Serafinianus


From Luigi Serafini's Codex Serafinianus
The Cape Cod Rail Trail
Well, riding bikes is usually not my thing, but I'm hooked.  For the long ride this Sunday, hydration and nutrition were my primary concerns, as was the reality of trying to ride for about 5-7 hours when I haven't done that volume in a given day.  In rowing it's not that necessary even for a 90' to plan what you'll eat and when.  I wondered, was it possible to exercise for 6 hours?  The Tour de France seems to indicate, yes.  Go figure, you keep the body fed and fueled and... life finds a way.  Only in the last 40' did I feel a little out of it, running out of water and also without any more snacks.  Luckily Provincetown was right around the bend.  Highlights: On the way home, cruising on highway 6, about 20-30 mph with a nice tailwind.  On the Rail Trail the people watching was outstanding.  One woman biked whilst holding an ice cream cone straight-arm to the side so it didn't drip on her legs, taking a lick every few seconds.  I said cheers as I passed, imitating her doing this balancing act, and she laughed back, told her it looks way better than the power bar I just ate.  Ha, AS IF.  I can't believe how good even a crappy Vanilla-flavored sawdust brick tastes after biking all day.  100 miles of fun, HR 135-142 for most of it, keeping below 155 on climbs.

Lessons learned/advice from a non-biker:

1. Don't carry a backpack.  There is a reason ppl wear those goofy bike jerseys, they have POCKETS and you need pockets to FEED.  Wear the silly jersey.  Plus, all of a sudden you become an expert on the Tour results to everyone you meet, even though you've been biking all day, not watching TV.

2. Do eat a lot the night before.  So glad I did.  Once you begin the ride you are somewhat limited by the glycogen in your body at the start of the day.  But whatever to that.. just overeat a bit at dinner the night before.

3. Do fill your water bottles whenever you can, at least once and hour, preferably more often, and kill whatever water is left in there before you fill.  You'll have to pee a lot, but that's the reality of hydration.

4. Be safe.  I fear death whenever I ride, and so far it's kept him at bay.  If you can avoid the highway and stay on trails, do.

5. Be safe.  Wear a helmet.  Slow down well in advance of ANYONE else on the trail/road, because often when you say "on your left" they just start swerving all crazy like they've never heard that before, or looking around for the source of the voice of cycling jesus speaking only to them.

6. This list is too long.  I don't know that much about biking.  Bring a spare tube, I guess, and a patch kit and little pump.




2 comments:

  1. OMG, you told us to be safe, TWICE. lil bro is growing up!

    kHm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baked potatos, cut in half and cold in the sandwich baggie, make a great long distance snack.

    ReplyDelete